There are nine dedicated science labs within the school which ensure that our pupils can fully develop their practical skills in lessons. Each teacher teaches in their own lab and has their own specialist area which they can share with the pupils. Many pupils go on to study a science related course at college and beyond, and pupils have achieved Grade 9s in all Science qualifications that we offer.
What does our curriculum include?
Pupils study a range of topics across the three disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics and there are a variety of clubs that we run. A weekly STEM club enables pupils to work towards awards and to enter competitions, and in addition, the Key Stage 3 Science club is well attended with pupils trying out a range of activities such as: making cosmetics, exploding rockets and extracting DNA. Science week is always a buzz in the department with trips, guest speakers and other visits, including the Tim Peake Space Bus and Star Lab, which have all helped enhance our pupils experience and enjoyment for the subject.
The department has successful collaborations with The Manchester Metropolitan University and our pupils have benefited from the department being the lead school in a research project based around ‘what makes science engaging’.
Recommended Revision Guides for Year 10 and 11
- Collins AQA GCSE 9-1 Biology All-in-one Revision + Practise Guide
- Collins AQA GCSE 9-1 Combined Science Trilogy Revision Guide
- Collins AQA GCSE 9-1 Chemistry All-in-one Revision + Practise Guide
- Collins AQA GCSE 9-1 Physics All-in-one Revision + Practise Guide
- CGP Combined Science GCSE Revision Guide for AQA
- CGP Biology GCSE Revision Guide for AQA
- CGP Chemistry GCSE Revision Guide for AQA
- CGP Physics GCSE Revision Guide for AQA