With a suite of English rooms and a newly refurbished library space, the English Department is well-equipped to build on pupils’ knowledge and skills that have been built at Key Stage 2.
We are committed to developing literacy skills across all subjects and have a unified approach to teaching literacy and encouraging pupils to be develop their cultural literacy. Reading groups and specific reading programmes run throughout the year to further develop our pupils’ passion for reading for pleasure.
What does our curriculum include?
Pupils study a range of topics which are outlined in the curriculum plans below. A range of texts are chosen to engage all our pupils and to ensure that a range of cultures and topics are explored. At GCSE, both English Language and English Literature are studied, and the foundations for these GCSE results are created at Key Stage 3. Write Clubs and Reading Clubs run on a weekly basis, alongside a Debate Mate Club and these provide pupils with diverse experiences beyond the classroom that nurture success and build talent.
Extra-curricular trips take place and theatre companies visit the academic to bring literature to life. Pupils have also had their work published in books and have enjoyed visits to venues such as The Manchester Art Gallery where they had the opportunity to further their creative writing skills. Oracy has also been developed through visits from authors, poets and story tellers.
What do we teach?
Find out more about what we teach in each year group by following the links below.
Recommended Revision Guides for Year 10 and 11
- Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde: York Notes for GCSE (9-1)
- Grade 9-1 GCSE English Text Guide – Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde By CGP Books
- Romeo and Juliet: York Notes for GCSE (9-1)
- Grade 9-1 GCSE English Romeo and Juliet – The Complete Play (CGP GCSE English 9-1 Revision)
- Blood Brothers: York Notes for GCSE (9-1)
- Grade 9-1 GCSE English Text Guide – Blood Brothers By CGP Books
- New GCSE English Literature AQA Poetry Guide: Love & Relationships Anthology – the Grade 9-1 Course (CGP GCSE English 9-1 Revision)
- AQA Poetry Anthology – Love and Relationships: York Notes for GCSE (9-1)